Regardless whether you choose Mediclear or VegaLite, you have the perfect protein for The Virgin Diet Shake. I load mine with So Delicious unsweetened coconut milk, organic berries, and flax or chia seeds. Feel free to elaborate here: a spoonful of almond butter, for instance, or some unsweetened cocoa powder.
You can blend this up in minutes. Protein smoothies travel well too, especially with my favorite accessory, the Magic Bullet. (And talk about saving money over those continental breakfasts!) Even if you’re on the go or stranded at your office, you can whip one of these smoothies up to balance your blood sugar and give you steady energy for hours. Here are five reasons I recommend protein smoothies for all my clients for fast fat loss and steady, sustained energy all morning:
- Easy. Manufacturers know reaching for a box of cereal with skim milk takes less effort than fixing a mixed-vegetable omelet. They also know among the franticness of looking for your keys and getting the kids ready for school, you’re most likely to take the path of least resistance at breakfast. A protein shake offers you the same convenience without cereal’s empty carbs that spike and crash your blood sugar.
- Lasting energy. That low-fat muffin and latte raises your insulin levels, which means you’re due for a mid-morning crash that will leave you running for the nearest bagel cart. A protein smoothie, on the other hand, gives you sustained energy for hours. That means no 11 a.m. Krispy Kreme cravings and no snapping at your coworkers once your blood sugar levels crash.
- Inexpensive. Tally up how much you spend on breakfast biscuits, muffins, or whatever else counts for breakfast. Surprised? A protein shake provides a cost-effective alternative. For the price of a large coffee, you get high-quality, fat-burning protein that keeps you full and focused for hours.
- Fast. You know that time excuse for not having breakfast? It doesn’t work with a protein shake. In about the time it takes to pour cereal and milk, you can toss all your ingredients in a blender for a filling, delicious breakfast.
- Healthy. Sure, they’re convenient and offer a little protein and nutrients, but those so-called healthy breakfast bars and canned shakes come loaded with sugar, artificial sweeteners and flavors, and other things that don’t constitute a smart breakfast. On the other hand, you can custom-load a protein shake with good fat, fiber, antioxidants, and of course high-quality protein that boosts your metabolism and helps burn fat. A study in the International Journal of Obesity showed that protein shakes “can safely and effectively produce significant sustainable weight loss and improve weight-related risk factors of disease.”
So if what’s for breakfast? is your day’s first big stressor, make it easy on yourself with The Virgin Diet Shake. For more great tips for fast fat loss and eliminating food intolerances, be sure to get my FREE The Virgin Diet Quick Start Guide!
Mierlo CA, et al. Weight management using a meal replacement strategy: meta and pooling analysis from six studies. Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord. 2003 May;27(5):537-49.
© 2012 JJ Virgin & Associates, Inc. Celebrity Nutrition & Fitness Expert JJ Virgin helps clients lose weight fast by breaking free from food allergies. She is the bestselling author of Six Weeks to Sleeveless and Sexy, a Huffington Post blogger, creator of the 4X4 Burst Training Workout & co-star of TLC’s Freaky Eaters. Watch for The Virgin Diet: Drop 7 Foods, Lose 7 Pounds, Just 7 Days in Dec. 2012. Visit JJ at http://www.jjvirgin.com to get her 3 free training videos on the secrets to achieving fast & lasting fat loss.
Powered by Facebook Comments