Menopause is the start of an extraordinarily fulfilling time in your life. Unfortunately, it can be hard to appreciate it through all the hot flashes, mood swings, and night sweats! Then there’s the changes in your appetite – in both the bedroom and the dining room…
Whether you’re just noticing cycle irregularity or in the midst of menopause, there’s no need to suffer. Here are 7 simple ways you can relieve common menopause symptoms and maintain your hormonal balance, plus slow aging:
- Quit smoking and limit alcohol. You already know this one, but I’m going to say it anyway! The toxins and nicotine in cigarettes have no place in a healthy lifestyle, but they’re especially harmful during menopause. The same goes for overdoing it when you drink, which can cause dehydration and sleep issues.
- Get daily exercise. Whether you opt for slower, meditative exercise like tai chi and yoga or faster burst training, the results are a boost of endorphins and growth hormones that will make you feel calmer and happier.1 Bonus: you’ll also find it easier to sleep and deal with stress.2
- Fight hot flashes with your diet. Some foods contain “phytoestrogens” – plant-based compounds that are similar to human sex hormones. Research proves that eating phytoestrogens is a remarkably good way to get rid of hot flashes during menopause.3 Options include flaxseed, apples, fennel, celery, and parsley. (Here’s a great recipe for a Hot Flash-Halting Protein Shake.)
- Opt for healthy fats. Omega-3 fatty acids and medium chain triglycerides (MCTs) are both a huge help during menopause. Not only will they tame inflammation, they benefit your brain and heart health, both of which can take a bruising as your hormone levels change.4-7Eat plenty of wild-caught fatty fish like tuna or salmon and cook exclusively with coconut oil.
- Make sleep a priority. Healthy sleep habits are crucial to hormone balance and detoxification.8-9 Menopause can make it a challenge to get your z’s, so it’s especially important to follow rules like no caffeine after lunch and no electronics an hour before bedtime. If rest remains elusive, try Sleep Candy for a safe, non-habit forming way to maintain your own healthy sleep cycle.*
- Eat your veggies. This one was always important, but menopause makes it especially so. That’s because the antioxidants in superfood fruits and vegetables help protect your body on a cellular level.10 That means less inflammation, the main cause of common signs of aging and some of the most uncomfortable menopause symptoms. (Think weight gain and painful intercourse…)
- Supplement well. The supplements listed below can help balance sex and stress hormones, fight inflammation, calm your mood, and preserve your bone, brain, and heart health.* Each day of pre-menopause/menopause, take:
- EstroCare: 2 with breakfast and 2 with dinner, total of 4 per day
- Daily Essentials Packets: 2 multivitamins and 1 fish oil with breakfast and 2 multivitamins and 1 fish oil with dinner, total of 6 per day
- Vitamin D Plus: 1 with lunch, total of 1 per day
- Sleep Candy: 2 at bedtime, as needed
Thanks so much for reading this post! If you’re interested in finding out more about how to dial in your diet and health, please check out my online programs. They’re science-based and have already helped thousands of people feel better fast and lose the weight.