How to Stay Healthy & Thrive in the 21st Century
Russell Jaffe, MD, PhD, CCN, has been rethinking healthcare for the last 30+ years! He joins JJ today to discuss the link between inflammation and autoimmunity, as well as what autoimmunity is, what can cause it, and what we can do to prevent it. They’ll cover the history of autoimmunity and discuss the factors that have caused it to skyrocket in the last generation. They’ll also discuss what it means to be food tolerant and how to improve the quality of the food you’re eating so you can thrive in the 21st century!
Freebies From Today’s Episode
Get Dr. Jaffe’s free guide, Rethinking Inflammation and Resolving Autoimmunity, by going to jjvirgin.com/allergy.
Main Points From Today’s Episode
1. Inflammation is delayed repair. To repair the problem, we first need to figure out the cause.
2. Autoimmunity is self-attack. There are things you can do to restore balance in your body.
3. Our diet plays a huge role in our health. We must consider the food we eat as nutrients and antinutrients.
[4:30] Today’s episode is going to connect the dots between autoimmunity, inflammation, digestion, food intolerances, and delayed allergies.
[5:50] Beginning with inflammation, what’s the biggest thing we need to know?
[6:30] You must get to the cause of what’s causing inflammation.
[7:30] A doctors' education spans 8-12,000 hours, and approximately this many hours of that are devoted to nutrition
[9:24] The definition of autoimmunity as explained to a 5th grader
[10:20] What’s the story behind the increase in modern autoimmunity?
[16:20] What things affect our ability to be healthy in the 21st century?
[20:20] A list of some superfoods
[21:27] An easy way to tell the difference between grains, grasses, and seeds
[23:50] Another key factor in your body’s ability to repair itself is this
[25:15] A couple of easy ways to tell if your food is fresh
1. Change the quality of the food you’re eating (seasonal, local, organic).
2. Our goal should be to be food tolerant: to digest, assimilate and eliminate whatever food we’re eating.
Mentioned in this episode:
Please review us on iTunes. And, if you haven’t already, SUBSCRIBE! As always, remember: You are worthy. Dare to live a life that matters.